Serves: 6 | Prep time: 35 minutes | Cook time: 30 minutes
2 cans black beans
2 medium sweet potatoes
250 g brown rice
50 g walnut halves
20 g oats
1 clove garlic
1 tbsp nutritional yeast
1 tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp coriander leaf
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp garlic granules
1/2 tsp ground cumin
Olive oil (optional)
1 food processor
1 large frying pan
1 baking tray (lined - we use a silicone mat)
1 large mixing bowl
1) Pre-heat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius.
2) Put rice on to cook in accordance with packet instructions.
3) Peel sweet potatoes and chop into small chunks. Put sweet potato chunks onto baking tray and, if using, drizzle with a small amount of olive oil. Bake for 30 minutes.
4) While sweet potatoes are cooking, peel onion and chop into small pieces. Put a small amount of water into frying pan (just enough to stop onions from sticking) and fry onion until it is very soft (about 10 minutes should do it). Keep adding water as needed to prevent onion from sticking.
5) Peel garlic and chop into small pieces. Add garlic to onion after onion has been cooking for 5 minutes. Once onion and garlic have cooked, put them in the mixing bowl and set aside.
6) Put oats and walnuts into food processor and blend until they form a sort of flour. Drain black beans and add to food processor, along with sweet potato, rice, black beans and spices and combine (if, like mine, your food processor is quite small,you might have to do this in batches).
7) Scrape the burger mixture into a bowl with the onions and garlic and mix well.
8) Divide the mixture into 6 and form into burger patties.
9) Cook patties in the oven for 30 minutes, flipping half way through.