Updated: Nov 24, 2019
Serves: 4 | Prep time: 10 minutes | Cook time: 40 minutes
For the sour cream:
1 block firm silken tofu
1 dessert spoon lemon juice
1 dessert spoon red wine vinegar
For the stroganoff:
350 g dried, wholewheat pasta
250 g mushrooms (I used button and chestnut mushrooms), peeled and chopped
200 ml (3/4 cup) dry white wine (make sure it is vegan) - optional
150 ml (1/2 cup) veggie broth
1 large onion (or 2 shallots), peeled and chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon dried rosemary
1 teaspoon dried parsley
1 teaspoon black pepper, ground
1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds, ground
You will need:
1 food processor
1 large wok
1. Put all of the ingredients for the sour cream into a food processor and process until smooth (you might need to scrape down the sides a couple of times). Set aside.
2. Add onions to the wok in a small amount of water and cook on a medium heat for 5 minutes. Add water as needed to prevent onions from sticking.
3. Add garlic and herbs to onions and cook for a further one minute.
4. Add the chopped mushrooms and cook for 5 minutes, stirring regularly.
5. Add the veggie stock and white wine to the mushroom mixture. Stir and then cook for 25 minutes on a low heat, stirring occasionally.
6. While mushroom mixture is cooking, cook the pasta as instructed on the packet.
7. Once mushroom mixture has finished cooking, stir in the tofu sour cream. Cook this on a low heat for a further 5 minutes.
8. Drain the cooked pasta and add it to the stroganoff. Mix well and serve.