Updated: Mar 26
The only thing I was worried I would miss when I decided to go vegan was eggs. Not because of the taste, but because they were my go-to breakfast at the weekend. Now we have this easy and delicious tofu scramble most weekends, which is not only healthier than eating eggs but tastes amazing! And no, I don't miss eggs at all.
Below is the recipe that I tend to use, but you can always mix it up and create your own version - tag us in your pictures if you do, we want to see your creations (Instagram - @herbivore_health)!
Serves: 2-4 (depending on what size portions you like!)
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
Total: 20 minutes
1 pack tofu
1 small onion, finely diced
2 cloves garlic, crushed
Greens (I like to use kale, but spinach works well too)
1 tbsp nutritional yeast
1 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp coriander leaf
1/4 tsp turmeric
1/4 tsp black pepper
4 slices whole wheat bread
Hummus (to spread on bread and to top scramble)
1 small hass avocado
Seeds (to taste - I like sunflower and pumpkin)
1) Chop the onion and greens and crush the garlic. Cook the onion on a medium heat in a saucepan with a little water.
2) Drain and cut up the tofu into small squares. Crumble with your hands as you add it to the onion and garlic. Add in the greens and stir well.
3) Add spices and garlic to tofu mix and stir well. I like to mash up the tofu a bit more with the wooden spoon at this point. Leave to cook for 5-8 minutes, stirring occasionally.
4) While the tofu is cooking, toast the bread and prepare the avocado. Once the bread is toasted, I like to spread hummus on it.
5) Remove the tofu from the heat and spoon onto the toast. Top with avocado, extra hummus and seeds to taste.