Serves: 6 | Prep time: 15 | Cook time: 1 hour
For the seitan:
1 cup vital wheat gluten
1/4 cup soy or chickpea flour
1 cup water
1 tsp smoked paprika
1/2 tsp garlic granules
1/2 tsp black pepper
For the broth:
1 litre boiling water
2 tbsp low sodium soy sauce
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1 tsp black pepper
1 mixing bowl
1 large saucepan
1) Mix all dry seitan ingredients together in a bowl. Add water.
2) Mix until combined, adding more soy/chickpea flour if needed (this takes a while, usually a few minutes).
3) Once combined, continue kneading for a further 5 minutes (this is annoying, but important to get the right consistency).
4) Shape into a log shape and leave to rest for 5 minutes.
5) Add ingredients for broth to a large saucepan.
6) Cut seitan into 6 equal pieces and add to the broth.
7) Simmer seitan just below boiling point for 1 hour, turning pieces every 20 minutes.
8) Once cooked, seitan can be stored in its juices in the fridge for up to 5 days.